Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Boy 16,Bullied To Death' For Daring To Stand Up To Drug Dealers:

A schoolboy was found dead in his bedroom just days before he was due to give evidence at the trial of a man who attacked him.
Tom Acton, 16, died after being falsely accused of raping a girl after tying her to a tree when he stood up against the criminal activity in his neighbourhood of Poynton, Cheshire.
He was attacked in the street, targeted on Facebook and angry youths turned up at his house following the lies spread about him

Death: Tom Acton (left), 16, gave information to police about people dealing drugs to youngsters. Days after his death he was due to testify in court against one of his tormentors, 18-year-old Thomas Greenwood (right)
For his own safety he went to live with his grandmother but upon his return he was beaten up by a teenager who told him 'you are dead'.
Days after his death on October 31 Tom was due to testify in court against one of his tormentors.
A judge lifted reporting restrictions preventing the naming of Thomas Greenwood, 18, who appeared at youth court for attacking Tom.
His 45-year-old mother, Gaynor, has criticised authorities for failing to act to protect her son and accused them of turning a blind eye.


She said: 'The first time I knew about it was when I had to peel Tom off the floor after he had his head smashed against the wall. The rumour went all over the place and on Facebook and Tom went to live with his gran in Wales for a bit.
'Straightaway I called the school and police but they said there was nothing they could do about it. They said it was just a rumour and that Facebook is their bane.
'Tom became a recluse in his own house. It was horrific. He was screaming and crying asking why were they doing it.'
She also described how he would have to be dropped off at school even though it was just a 10-minute walk and how a gang of 30 came to the door saying they wanted 'to get rid of the vermin'.

Speaking at a parish council meeting, she said: 'My son Tom died in tragic circumstances at home. What you won't know is that he had given information to police about drug dealers in Poynton.
'He was bullied, pressured and then threatened. Poynton was not a safe place for Tom. We tried to take the issue to the authorities but were not taken seriously. I came to the council in April for help and you did nothing.'
Crewe Magistrates' Court heard that Tom was attacked outside his home by Greenwood in June. His statement was read to the court in which he described how Greenwood held what he thought was a knife to his throat.
It said: 'He threatened to break my nose and said: "If I see you, you are dead". I screamed for my life and I saw him just staring me out. I thought my life was going to end.'
He added that the bullying campaign by Greenwood's friends then increased. 'He started rumours that I'd raped girls', he said. 'It boils down to the fact that I got on better with girls and he didn't like it.
'There were rumours that I had tied a girl to a tree, raped her and took pictures. As you can imagine I can no longer walk down the street as everyone calls me a rapist.
'I felt so scared for my life I wanted to break down and cry. I was scared to go out of the house. I wish I wasn't here. No one has the right or authority to assault me, cause me harm.
'I suffered no physical injury just redness it is more of a mental injury caused.' Greenwood was convicted of assault but cleared of possessing a bladed article and will be sentenced at a later date. 
A text conversation between him and a girl read: 'I have been after him for ages. I pulled up in the car got out, banged his head against the wall and then hit him in the face a few times.'
In court he denied making death threats and claimed not to know about the false rape allegations.
Yesterday, Mrs Acton said: 'I want people suffering what Tom suffered to have the confidence to speak out.

Local area: Tests are being conducted to establish his cause of death but there are no suspicious circumstances
'Ours is a middle-class area and is supposed to be safer than safe yet I believe that means the community is too frightened to speak out when something goes wrong.
'It's not the image those in authority in Poynton want to portray. When Tom died we had over 200 cards with everyone saying what a good friend he was and how he would help everyone - but no one was there to help him in his darkest hours.
'He would always fight and had a strong sense of justice, and if somebody was being bullied he would always be the first one there to help them. But at the time he was very worried about the trial of Thomas Greenwood and he said it would be the end of him.
'He was very apprehensive about going to court and frightened that he might be threatened. If he did see the bullies they would make gestures across the neck.
'They were like a pack of wolves hounding a wounded animal. Tom was very brave, he was even an organ donor at the age of eight after he had seen a donor card in mine and his dad's wallets.
'I didn't know until he was dying that he had signed up when he was eight and signed up again when he was 16. Little did we know six months later he would be giving them away.'
Cheshire Constabulary Inspector Steve Griffiths told MailOnline: ‘We would like to take the opportunity to offer our condolences to the family following the tragic death of Tom.
‘Macclesfield Police works closely with the school and the local council with information given about drugs being considered and acted on if appropriate. As a result of information received regarding drug dealing we had launched an investigation which is currently ongoing.
‘An allegation of assault was also made by Tom in relation to a separate issue not related to drugs and this resulted in an 18-year-being charged and he is currently going through the court process so it would not be appropriate to comment further at this stage.
‘Cheshire Police takes illegal drug activity seriously and this is reflected in on-going investigations such as Operation Dizi which has seen a large number of drug dealers from the Macclesfield area brought to justice.

'I can no longer walk down the street as everyone calls me a rapist. I felt so scared for my life I wanted to break down and cry. I was scared to go out of the house'
Tom Acton

‘This operation continues and could not be carried out without the help of the public who give us information about drug activity in their community. Anyone who gives information to police regarding any crime and feels they are being threatened are dealt with sensitively and there are procedures in place to advise and protect them.
‘An application by the investigating officer had been made for special measures to support mum and Tom in relation to the assault investigation.’
Tests are being conducted to establish a cause of death, but there are no suspicious circumstances.
David Waugh, headmaster at the mixed comprehensive Poynton High School, said: 'We have been stunned by the loss of a member of our community and continue to express our deepest sympathy.
'We continue to provide the highest of educational standards in every aspect of our school life, within a framework of outstanding care, guidance and support.

'It would not be appropriate to comment directly on any of the issues raised while various reviews and legal processes are being followed.'

No comments:

Post a Comment